maandag 25 februari 2013

_msdcs could not be resolved

Today I was working on setting up my new test environment based on Windows 2012, SQL Server 2012 and SharePoint 2013. On my Windows 8 Notebook in Hyper-V, 32GB, i7, 128GB SSD BootDisk & 512GB SSD disk to store my virtuals. But this had nothing to do with the mistake I made, just wanted to let you know what I working with.

I started with a new Windows 2012 Domain Controller. Added a Virtual Internal Switch in Hyper-V. After installing Windows, I started to add and configure the AD role.

Created the domain, and because I think I know what I’m doing didn’t check anything else.

Installed my second Windows 2012 server that needs to become a SQL 2012 Server. Then I tried to add it to the domain what resulted in an error: Could not find a domain controller for the domain…. Ping to the domain controller is working so why is this not working?

Let’s have a look at the DC, running DCDIAG gives me the following error:
The host 178cda1d-ee16-4f2d-8256-26f714b0770d._msdcs.personal.local could not be resolved to an IP address. Check the DNS server, DHCP, server name, etc
Check that the IP address is registered correctly with the DNS server.

Executed a demotion for the domain, and a DCPROMO to recreate it, same result, found some blogs about ipconfig /registerdns, net stop netlogon, net start netloging, dcdiag /fix etc. Nothing seemed to help and then it did hit me in the face…….

I take a look at the NIC on the virtual and found I did not configure a static IP yet, so I’t had a APIPA (169.254.0.x) range address. And DNS does not work with APIPA addresses!!!! Stupid mistake.

Changed to a 10.0.0.x range, restarted DNS and executed DCDIAG, no errors anymore!

Never start working on something when it’s time to take a nap Glimlach