I just recent did get access to this environment, before that all development has been done in production environment running Windows 2008 64Bits and SQL 2008 SP2 64 bits
In the nearby future I will receive a development environment that represents the production environment, but for now I have to do with the development environment I have.
While developing on the production environment all seams to be working fine, now developing on the development environment I ran into some strange issues.
- Go to Start--> All Programs--> Microsoft SQL Server 2008--> Configuration Tools --> SQL Server Configuration Manager
- Expand the node SQL Native Client 10.0 Configuration
- Right click on "Aliases" and then select "New Alias..."
- Provide the IP address of the Source SQL server against the "Server" field and specify the Source server name against the "Alias Name" field.
- Choose the protocol as "NamedPipes" and click OK
The second possible solution I did found came from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945977
They mention that I could have to do with the TCP Chimney feature that is enable in Windows 2003 SP2.
First thing to do is to check or you have the latest NIC driver on your server installed. When this is the case you can try to disable the chimney feature following the below steps.
- Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
- At the command prompt, type:
- Netsh int ip set chimney DISABLED
- Press the ENTER key.
Let's get back to the first error: The expression for variable "MyVar" failed evalution. This seems to occure on the master packages, I think I already know why, I will tell you what is done in the master package.
In the master package I do have some connection managers for the package that need to be executed. I use a connectionstring expression on the connectors to make it flexible to run the packages when they are placed in a different location.
The expression is: @[User::varFolderPackages_str"]+"<nameofpackages.dtsx>"
The variable @[User::varFolderPackages_str"] is also an expression based variable that consists of the expression: @[User::varFolderSSISRoot_str"] + "Packages\\" where @[User::varFolderSSISRoot_str"] again is an expression @[User::varFolderRoot_str"] + @[User::varNameSSISProject_str"] + "\\"
Those are both filled hard by a package configuration with D:\SSIS and SSIS_Staging_Hubs for example.
Because I don't realy know what is causing this, and it does occure random, some runs the master packages runs without error and the next following run does again error on the variable evalution I think thought it might have to do with the parallel processing and handeling the variables.
The simpel solution is that I changed the package connection managers to a hardcoded connection string. For now this solves my problem, no errors last 3 run's, but it removed my flexibility. All my SQL connections are created by using package configurations based on a SSISMetaData.SSISConfiguration table. I think I will start adding the package connection managers to.
Hope you enjoy this blog! When you have comments, better solution and recommendation I like to hear from you. Dynamic Intelligence | LinkedIn | Blog | Twitter